Can you imagine this? You just bought a brand new car, and as you drive down the street you can see that your neighbors somehow, have smelled that new car smell and are ascending upon you like Zombies from Zombie Land. Arms extending in front of them, drooling drops of saliva. If only they could touch the new paint, raise the hood or possibly sit in the front seat. And for some, turn a dial or two.
When I was growing up (except for the zombie part!) my neighbors would actually come out to see that new car. Why? I’m thinking for the most part; to share in the experience. Even the invisible man next door would come out. You know that man, the one you never saw, but the one with the putting green lawn. Even the neighbor that swore he would never buy a car, who only rides the bus, would come over to take a look.
Across the street from me was the oldest and grumpiest man on the block. He was a short round man that always wore bib overalls. He had a habit of yelling at all the kids. He would always say, “Stop cutting across my yard!” in a thick accent. One day the zombies, I mean neighbors, smelled that smell. A new car coming down the street. And to the surprise of many, it pulled right into the drive way of that old guy! It was his very first new car. No longer was his old Plymouth at the curb. Now was a shiny new fast back Mustang the color of burgundy. Behind the side windows were louvers. It was really cool.
I never saw as many people surround a car as they did with that Mustang. You know what? I think that Mustang made that old guy much nicer. He never seemed to yell at the kids as much after that.
Sometimes for hours at a time, that old guy would just sit in his new car. After watching him from time to time, it seemed to me that he and I were a lot alike. Why? Because I like sitting in my spaceship too, (I mean car!)
Thanks for the memories

No comments:
Post a Comment