Grandpa Fred, my dad, passed away a short time ago and my brother Rick some years earlier. Looking through some of dad’s things I came across an old black and white photo. The photo was of my dad when he was a kid; he was probably around the same age that I was when I first became interested in cars. He and his whole family were standing, eating, and playing next to this old car. This old car was big with straight lines, wooden spoke wheels, a flat radiator, and two giant head lights attached to the grill.
A short time before my dad passed away he and I went out for lunch; his mind was not as sharp as it once was. As we were eating, we talked about things he did when he was a kid. For the most part it was hard for him to say anything about his life! But this time for some reason he started talking. Some of the stuff sounded far-fetched, I wasn’t sure if his stories were true or not. As we talked he started talking about his dog buddy and I could see as we talked that his eyes were starting to water! Dad said that he and buddy were best friends. A door to door whisky salesman was on their street selling when the salesman came to Dads house; he gave Buddy to Dad. Dad said that Buddy was always by his side. As I looked at that old photo I remembered that story of my dad and buddy. Why, because standing on top of that old car was a dog! It looked just like the dog my dad described!
Now that’s a good memory. I don’t think anything could be better than a boy with his dog and a cool old car. Thanks Dad! That was a good one.
Grandpa Tom

No comments:
Post a Comment