Monday, July 25, 2011

My brother Rick passed away some years back. I still have his Gerber folding knife and his cool collection of Hot Rod magazines. It’s always fun looking at back issues. As I was going through the collection I saw a 1956 Chevy convertible.

Rick had one; the color was a two tone, matador red and white, with a white soft top that he weekly brushed with comet cleanser to keep it show room white.
When we were kids Rick made sure that I new that he was my big brother. Most big brothers pick on little brothers from time to time and he did too, but I also new he would defend me if he needed too. When I was a freshmen in high school I was outside having a cigarette, some older boys started picking on me. Another boy came from around the corner for a smoke and saw what was going on and said, “Hey you guys, better leave him alone that’s Rick’s little brother!” They all immediately stopped. I think one boy even started to stutter to say he was sorry. I never had any problems in school after that, from time to time some of the teachers would say, “Are you Rick’s little brother?“ I would always say yes with a big smile and they would always nod or shake there heads.
Rick was a true car guy and was probably one of the reasons that I got into cars. Back in the day, when I was a kid, my brother Rick and my cousin Steve, would actually finish there car projects, and that was good for me! Why, because sometimes they would take me for a ride! Before I was ever allowed into Rick’s car I always had to promise that I would sit on my knees! Yes…on my knees, because, “it makes you look taller and older in the seat,” he would say, and no big brother wants his little brother cruising with him on a Friday night!
So I sat on my knees and sat as tall as I could! After all he had a rep to keep up!
Grandpa Tom

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy reading your blog. It inspires happy memories of my youth.

    ReplyDelete