The location we picked looked pretty easy, there was already a well worn trail, possibly made by others with the same need for adventure, plus, as far as we could see the path went straight up, so off the road we went, and up the hill we started.
As we were climbing we started hearing people talking and could hear sounds like chain saws, next thing we knew a motorcycle came roaring up from behind us flinging mud and gravel in every direction; it was pretty cool, the higher we went the more motorcycles we encountered. We met up with the same road that we left far below having taken a shortcut and we knew that the first leg of our adventure was complete.
As we rested we watched the motorcycle riders, the riders were all having there own adventure, hill climbing.
After a short rest it was time to finish our climb, so up we started to the next level, it was apparent that the trail we were on was not made by ancient explores but instead by the modern day motorcycle.
As we clawed and pulled our way to the next level the path turned into loose gravel and large boulders, we had to hop and jump onto each large rock, this was the only way to the next level. Finally we could see the top of the butte with its fort like walls.
We didn’t want to take the simple way so we all started climbing the wall but only two of us could hold onto the mortared stones.
The rest of the guys decided to take the road and meet us at the terrace. My friend Huffy and I started our climb going higher and higher.
Looking up at the wall from the road below didn’t look all that high but the higher we climbed the more I realize that this wall was high and more difficult than it looked, plus my toes and fingers were starting to get numb. Looking over at Huffy I could see that he was in trouble. He had stopped climbing and was just hugging the wall. “Come on,” I said, “We’re almost to the top!”
When I looked over and down at Huffy I saw how high we really were, about 25 ft up, and it freaked me out, it was a really long way down and going up was going to be a chore too. Looking up I only had maybe 5 feet to go.
The other guys made it to the top and were now looking down at us saying, “Hurry up, lets go.” Suddenly from the corner of my eye I saw Huffy sliding down the wall with his belt buckle making a scrapping noise, sparks flying and smoke coming out of his paints! He slid faster and faster until he hit the culvert next to the road with a big cry! He was lying in the ditch holding his leg and crying.
All the guys started yelling, "You all right, did you see that, I saw sparks, did you? "
Seeing what had just happened to Huffy must have given me a small burst of energy, next thing I knew I was now only a foot or two from the top, but that was as far as I could go; I found myself hugging the wall just like Huffy. My fingers had lost most of there feeling and my arms were now starting to shake. I was stuck, I couldn’t move!
The guys new I was in big trouble. Leaning over the wall they could almost reach my shoulders. If only I could reach out with my arms they could pull me up, but I couldn’t. I felt like I was beginning to slip and might fall.
There was a since of urgency in the air, the guys were saying, "Jump up, jump up, we’ll catch you, you won’t fall, jump up." It was time to do something! My toes were totally numb and I knew that if I didn’t do something fast I would fall so I yelled, “I’m jumping” and I did! I jumped up and I felt a slight downward motion but they grabbed me, not by my arms, but by my shirt and pulled me up. They said, with my hands still tight to my chest, that when I jumped up I looked like a salmon wiggling its way up a waterfall.
Exhausted and lying on my back on the grass I tried to unlock my fingers and arms. That was a close one!
Huffy had a sprained knee, a rug burn on his stomach and a destroyed belt buckle. I had another adventure.
Grandpa Tom




No comments:
Post a Comment